Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Getting My Room Ready!

OK so, last night the nightmares began.  As I anticipated going into school this morning I was so lucky to have a strange dream. There was a staff wide pop quiz; which sort of looked like a cabinet meeting of 8 to me.  The quiz was on MATH COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS!!!!!!  So what does this mean?  I am thinking that someone is going to ask me a lovely question and I am going to have a brain fart moment.  I will have to read these standards again and again, and also walk around with a cheat sheet. I dislike being caught out there.

Fortunately it was just a dream, and I was off to the school house about noon today.  So here is what I turned my key to see. 
Stacked chairs and furniture, with lovely shiny floors!
This is an eyesore!  I have a board that every year I fight with since I moved into this classroom 2years ago.  My school is 100 years old and it is beginning to show its age.  The built in bookshelves are great however they are in a weird spot.
 
This shot above is showing door of course, but from the middle of the room.


Storage above my students' coat closet, and some of my closet space as well.  There are things up there that are not mine.  Task for the year get rid of it all!  Exactly half is mine.


The front of my room.  My lovely chalkboard that I don't use.  I can't wait to cover it up as I usually do.  I wish they would install dry erase.  I'm thinking about the shower board DIY idea.  I just don't know about transporting it to my school.  My desk is in the middle of the room.  I had to wait for the custodians to move it to its location.


The back corner of my room. 


Desk are set up.  I seem to have more desks than last year.  I have 17 on my roster.  When there are too many desks it leave an impression that you are expecting more...


Before


After

 
   I use black fabric and ribbon around the side and bottom.  I found a cute pennant border last minute- yesterday to be exact.



A closer view

Side boards done!

 
 
Well, I still have more work to do.  I will tackle that from board later this week and start pulling things out.  Its so hard to stick to my plans when everyone is coming in your room.  Exchanging pleasantries, and conversing about vacation spots.
 


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Love your blog... Nope I never had a problem with the curtains and the heat! Please try it it's so easy and really makes the classroom cozy! Let me know how it works out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thank you!!! I will defintely try it. It's such a great idea and oh the colors and patterns that you can use- just thinking about it is making me excited lol. Thank you for stopping by as well. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your board!! It makes such a difference in the room. I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks like you have a lot of work to do. What you have done looks great. I love the bright colors.

    I'm a new follower! I saw you stopped by my blog and I thought I would do the same.

    -Jeremy
    Mr. Michelbook's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a lot, I get exhausted justing thinking about it. Thank you, and thank for stopping by as well.

      Kim

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am your newest follower. I also teach 5th grade and am always excited when I find a fellow fifth grade teacher! You're room is coming along! Love the colors! Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!